CHIEF JOE-KYARI GADZAMA
OFR, MFR, SAN, FNIALS, FICMC, DipICArb, FCIArb. (UK), Chartered Arbitrator (Of Lincoln’s Inn, Barrister/Life Bencher/CEDR Accredited Mediator)
Called to the Nigerian Bar in 1986 and enrolled at the Supreme Court of Nigeria the same year, Chief J-K Gadzama, SAN was appointed Notary Public in June 1996 and elevated to the worthy rank of a Senior Advocate of Nigeria (SAN) in 1998. His professional experience spans a vast area of adjectival/procedural and substantive law. One of the Country’s highly regarded Lawyers, he has for 3 (three) decades been external Solicitor to several Merchant, Commercial, Development and Industrial Banks; adviser to major multinational corporations and indigenous companies and organizations and a network of high net-worth individuals in Nigeria. He was the lead Counsel to the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC).
He is registered with the Securities & Exchange Commission (SEC), Abuja as a Capital Market Consultant and was a partner in the legal consortium of Legal Advisory Partnership (LAP), comprising foreign and indigenous lawyers charged with the responsibility of providing legal services to the Bureau of Public Enterprises (BPE) Abuja, from April 2004 to July 2007. Aside this very important assignment, he is a Legal Consultant to Bureau of Public Enterprises (BPE), the Secretariat of the National Council on Privatization (NCP), chaired by the Vice President of the Federal Republic of Nigeria.
Chief J-K Gadzama’s expertise is also valued internationally. His expert opinion on the nature of damages recoverable under Nigerian Law, was sought in Toulouse, France in a Litigation filed in 2015 involving one of the world’s biggest Aircraft manufacturers. He has been recognized by the Intercontinental Finance Magazine (ICFM) in 2015 as one of the 500 leading lawyers in the world. He is also featured on “Who’s Who Legal” as an Arbitration Expert. He was recently appointed Liquidator to wind up the Power Holding Company of Nigeria (PHCN) PLC and also provide Legal Advisory Services for the winding up process.
Due to his strong Anti-corruption record, he was appointed the Chairman, Legal Team of Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) and he was also Chairman, National Working Group on the Rome Statute constituted by the office of the Honourable Attorney General of the Federation.
Until recently, Chief Gadzama was a Federal Commissioner/Board Member of the Infrastructure Concession Regulatory Commission of Nigeria (ICRC), Board Member; Diamond Pension Fund Custodian and Board Member; University of Benin Governing Council.
- Nigerian Law School, Lagos (1986, B.L)
- University of Maiduguri (LL.B Hons, 1985)
- Keble College, Oxford University, UK, 2006
- London School of Economics and Political Science (LSE)
- Called to the English Bar, Lincoln’s Inn, 2008
- Institute for Public-Private Partnerships (IP3), Allington, USA, 2009
- Election Petitions
- Capital Markets
- Arbitration and Mediation
- Corporate & Commercial Law
- Project Finance
- International Bar Association
- Nigerian Bar Association
- International Division of the Law Society of England and Wales
- Bar of England and Wales
- South Eastern Circuit of the Bar of England and Wales
- American Bar Association (Associate)
- Chartered Institute of Arbitrators (UK)
- African Bar Association
- Commonwealth Lawyers’ Association
- Pan African Lawyers’ Union
- West African Bar Association
- Chairman, VoxPopuli Foundation for Leadership
- Pioneer Chairman, Nigerian Bar Association (NBA) Section on Public Interest and Development Law (SPIDEL)
- Former Chairman, Nigerian Bar Association (NBA), Abuja Branch.
- Chairman, Janada International Center for Arbitration and Mediation (JICAM)